Clean fresh flavour available all year round
Baby Octopus fishing
The Baby Octopus Berrima is wild trap caught in the shallow, pristine waters of Coffin Bay and along the west coast of South Australia.
It is caught using environmentally friendly tubes attached to lines that have been left in the water to be periodically checked and moved by the fishermen.
Coffin Bay is an ideal fishing location and benefits from:
- Isolated waters
- Low human population
- Low rainfall
- No river systems washing pollutants into the waterways.
Reasons to add it to your order
The Baby Octopus is reliable and consistent. It is available fresh year-round with harvesting daily by our local fisherman.
It has a fresh, clean flavour from living in the pristine waters around Coffin Bay.
This is a relatively new fishery and, like all seafood in South Australia, it is government monitored to ensure it is not overfished.
It is sustainably managed and requires a licence to catch them using only environmentally friendly catching methods with no by-catch.
The Baby Octopus has a clean flavour with a tender texture.
How to handle
- Open bag of Baby Octopus and run each one under cold water to rinse off any ink.
- Wrap unused Baby Octopus tightly in plastic wrap and store between 2-5⁰C.
Tips from our fishermen
Best frozen then thawed. The Baby Octopus is made up of 80-90% water – as it freezes, the water expands and then bursts into the meat when it defrosts, further tenderising the meat.
- Leon VanWeenan
- Fresh or Frozen
- Approximate weight per piece 50g
- Caught around Coffin Bay
- Year round
- Packed in 2kg blocks or 1kg trays
- 14kg per polystyrene carton
- Fresh – airfreight
- Frozen – air or sea freight